[Public-list] rudder post hole fiberglass rot

Matthew Morey mwmorey at hotmail.com
Sun May 14 21:03:50 PDT 2006

Thanks to all for the advice regarding the rudder.  Having the cutlass
bearing (baring?) replaced and the shaft and prop cleaned and checked out
too.  So far things are good and thanks again for all your help.  If
anyone's curious about what happened with the gudgeon and the middle thingy
that acts as a hinge, let me know, okay?

One thing I've discovered that is a problem is the back fin that runs just
below the rudder post and just above the rudder.  This is the bit of glass
added to the hull that makes the rudder's top flush to the hull.  It's
rotted pretty well through.  There's good fiberglass down the middle
thankfully, but that little fin is covered on both sides with something like
a giant blister.  My boat is from 70 and has almost know blisters--two or
three tiny little things.  I suspect water's been getting in through the
rudder post hole.  Since I have the rudder out, I wondered if anyone could
suggest a more or less permanent fix for this.  I can fix the exterior, but
does anyone have any idea about how to seal the inside of the rudder post
hole?

I'm dying to get back to my sailing and hope to finish with repairs and
painting this week...  What do you think?

mathew
Chance