[Public-list] Gypsy

Lincoln Finkenberg finkenbergl at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 19:21:16 PDT 2006

Gypsy is a wonderful boat.  40 years never a blister nor signs of delamination - yet the surveyor was sure one was coming in a couple years.  I’ll be sailing her this summer.  The surveyor also pointed out that the bulkhead was separating and that the turnbuckles were no good.  The turnbuckles were clearly bad because there was a giant indentation right near the top – incredibly similar to the dye stamp.  He was sure the chainplates were a problem because they were stainless steel and overtime stainless steel deteriorates – especially in places you can’t see.  Unfortunately he was correct on that count as well – and I’m sure some day when the bulkhead gives way and the boat splits in two the corroding chainplates will have proven to be the cause.

    When I pointed out the obvious – he rudely stated “I don’t work for you”. Which at first I ignored but after the third or fourth mention - I looked to the buyer and said – do you want to tell him or do I.  I was granted the pleasure - you do work for me.  We had decided to split the cost.  Oddly he thought this unethical and stormed off the boat.  The best thing he did with Gypsy that morning.

Message: 3