[Public-list] Fuel tank and rudder post

Bobby capricebob at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 05:48:19 PDT 2006

Thanks for the information...I think you're right that it's probably better to just get a new tank...  I appreciate the information.

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net wrote:

Bobby wrote:

>Can an aluminum tank be repaired? It looks like the weld >is corroded.

It can be welded with TIG or MIG equipment, but the bigger
problem is it's a fuel tank, they tend to blow up when
exposed to high amp sparks.
There is a procedure for welding fuel tanks involving
filling the tank with water, but it is doubtful you will
find a welder willing to go to the trouble/risk.
I have recently used a product with good results on a
trash pump that had freeze damage. It is an aluminum stick
that is braized with a plumbing type propane torch

www.northerntool.com item # 11070 BAC Industries

But, since corrosion can't be welded-it would be hard to
say how extensive the damage is, and along with everything
else, I'd just get a new tank and be done with it.

MichaelGrosh
Well, I would be tempted to play with the aluminum rods;
then I would get the new tank :)