[Public-list] Rudder Post Leak

Bob Crinion bob at fox.nstn.ca
Thu May 4 05:40:24 PDT 2006

George

Much Thanks for the advice,

-bob

-----Original Message-----
From: public-list-bounces at alberg30.org
[mailto:public-list-bounces at alberg30.org] On Behalf Of George Dinwiddie
Sent: May 3, 2006 10:57 PM
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
Subject: Re: [Public-list] Rudder Post Leak

Bob Crinion wrote:

> Regarding the rudder post leak-
>
> I have a leak from this area of the rudder post and I don't think that it
is
> the rudder post packing and figure it is leaking around the fiberglass
area
> of the hull.
> I wonder how it came to leak in the first place?

My guess would be a grounding on the rudder, if the fiberglass is
cracked.  I can't remember whether the rudder post gland is glassed in
place or caulked.

> My fuel tank is still located just forward of the rudder post.
>
> Should I remove the fuel tank?
>
> Should I remove the fuel tank via the port locker by cutting a piece out
of
> the plywood?

I wouldn't remove the tank, but I would go through the port locker.  I
think you'll get enough access, there.

> If it is leaking through the fiberglass how far should one grind away to
> reapply new fiberglass?

I'd say 3 to 4 inches around the post, and up as high as you can.  I
wouldn't try to get a grinder in there, but would probably use a Dremel
tool (http://alberg30.org/maintenance/tools/dremel.html) with a 1/2"
coarse sanding drum.  It'll be slower than a grinder, but easier to
handle in the confined space.

But before doing anything, I'd get in there for a close look to confirm
exactly what the problem is.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.