[Public-list] Alberg 30 for Sale - Boat values

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun May 14 20:56:21 PDT 2006

David Fisher wrote:
> $5400, hey?  That sounds like an exceptionally good deal for the one who
> picked her up.

Yes, it does.

> I am very interested to know what Albergs are considered to be worth on
> your side of the world.  Here in Australia, I payed $35 000 (Australian;
> $27 000 US at today's rate) for Kalitsah.  I have since had offers
> around the $50 000 ($38 500 US) for my boat, for which I have not been
> willing to part with her.  Are prices seriously out of kilter between
> the two sides of the world, or is there such a fluctuation there
> according to the condition of the boats?

Some of both.  There are geographical differences.  Australia has a high
import duty on sailboats.  In the US, boats tend, in general, to be a
bit cheaper in Florida because there are so many.

Then there's condition.  I figure that an Alberg 30 in excellent shape
is worth about $20,000 US in the Annapolis area.  The value goes down
rather steeply if the boat needs a lot of work.  The price tends to
reflect the full value minus the amount of work needed, rather than the
value of what's there.

In the case of Gypsy, the lack of an inboard engine would be a
significant factor in the price.

The patience or lack thereof on the part of the buyer or seller is also
a factor.  And also consider that the market is not "efficient."  There
are pricing discrepancies all the time.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.