[Public-list] barrier coat

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri May 26 18:42:08 PDT 2006

John Malthouse wrote:
> Thanks George,
>> From what I have been reading your analyses seem to make sense to me.
> My A30 has very small pepper blisters above the water line. I believe
> they formed due to last springs cleaning before launch, stooped me used
> acetone to remove old wax before doing three stage compound polish. (a
> beginner) Any suggestions regarding this repair would be greatly
> appreciated. Also above the waterline near the forward port bulkhead is
> some fine line cracks/blister horizontally (outside hull), Both
> conditions seem to be only in the gel coat. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

It's hard to say without seeing it.  Is the boat painted?

> I am working on the smaller 22 ft first in order to gage my skills and
> knowledge, This one had several blister just below the water line and
> when excavated more were found, so that now I have an 4" strip from bow
> to stern where I have ground down to the first layer of glass or a bit
> more. The plan is to use the WEST EPOXY ,HARDENER AND MICRO FILLERS. In
> all that I have been reading one should wet out the exposed glass with
> epoxy and hardener. Does this not create a barrier?

Not really.  I would call this a large spot repair.  If you just fill
the areas that have been ground down, you shouldn't have any concern.
Do try to get it as dry as possible before filling, though.  But unless
you paint a large area with epoxy, it's probably not going to really act
as a barrier coat.

> Back to your comment on barrier coats stopping water molecules from
> exiting, Interesting enough it seems that the area of blister seem to be
> where the previous owner had over sprayed when he painted with ALGRIP?

You might consider just sanding off the paint and letting the blisters
subside, if they will.

> Boy do I ramble: suggestions welcome , do not want to damage my A30

One option is to do nothing.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash