[Public-list] Kayaks?

David Fisher liquid_addiction at hotmail.com
Sun May 28 02:59:08 PDT 2006

Hi, I have a feathercraft folding kayak on board.  Folding kayaks fall
somewhere in the middle of rigid and inflatable boats.  I find my kayak to
be a good compromise, and certainly a usable alternative to a rigid boat.
Hydronamically, they are behind their rigid counterparts, however the
inaesthetics and inefficiencies of inflatables will always stop me from
going down that route.  Some folding kayak enthusiastics claim that they can
be more seaworthy than rigids, and mine certainly copes in a big sea.  They
do suffer the same problem as inflatables that they can't be run aground,
and must be treated with more tenderness as a result.  In terms of
usability, though, folding boats are great.  I paddled 60km in 10 hours in
mine a little while back, not too much off what I get in a much longer flat
water boat in that time.

Have a look at folding kayaks on google.  They're not cheap, but for me it
was a simple choise, as it was either a folder or nothing at all on board.

David
Kalitsah 440
Sydney