[Public-list] Cockpit core thickness?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed May 31 16:51:54 PDT 2006

Bob Crinion wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm replacing the cockpit floor core of my boat which is a liner hull, #
> 560.
> I'm considering using some sort of foam core that one of the boat yard staff
> has recommended. Balsa Core is not readily available.
>
> I'm not sure what the cockpit floor balsa core thickness is at this point.
>
> Does anyone know the thickness of the cockpit floor core?
>
> Any ideas or other suggestions would be appreciated.

As I recall, the core of the cockpit sole was 1/2" but when I tried to
re-core with 1/2" I ended up with a gutter around the edge.  This is due
to the space taken up by the thickened resin I used to bed the new core
material.  I've since switched to 3/8" core for other parts of the boat.

I used Klegecell.  See
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/DeckRepairs/ for more description.

  - George, Calypso #543

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org