[Public-list] Teflon and props

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sat May 13 12:37:02 PDT 2006

I have had "reasonable" success with Pettit 1793 Transducer Paint on the prop.  Note I said reasonable.  It is zinc based and actually stays on.  I have a friend that swears by STP, but it is on a power boat that gets used several times a week so  he doesn't need anything anyway.

On a different, but related subject.  Stainless shafts work out quite well and there really isn't a major problem.  Just keep an eye on the zinc just like you would on a boat with a bronze shaft.  Stainless are probably a bit better since they are more resistant to being bent or twisted (think hitting debris or picking up a crab pot at full power).

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

"One country may support another's cause, but will never take it so seriously as it takes its own.  A moderately- sized force will be sent to its help; but if things go wrong, the operation is pretty well written off, and one tries to withdraw at the smallest possible cost."

Clausewitz, On War