[Public-list] Rudder question re Alberg 30 #39

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 8 17:13:52 PST 2006

Greetings all,

I recently purchased Alberg 30 #39 and I am looking at having to repair or
replace the wooden rudder since it is separating along one of the splined
joints.  All of the hardware appears to be sound but the wood has dried
causing the joint to split (the boat was not in the water at all in 2006).
The damage appears to have happened sometime prior to 2006 but the drying
out has probably worsened the problem.

I have looked through the list message archives, looked at the photo of the
wooden rudder on the Alberg 30 site and reviewed the information in the
maintenance manual in preparation for the project but I still have a
question concerning how the rudder is attached to the rudder post.

My rudder is essentially as shown in the photo on the Alberg 30 site except
it doesn't have the metal straps across the face of the blade.  It has the
single gudgeon pair arrangement just below the prop opening as shown in the
photo.  My rudder appears to be attached to the lower rudder post with the
two perpendicular rods/nuts and it has the shoe supporting the end of the
lower post on the lower rear of the keel.  What I am not clear about is how
the blade is attached to the upper rudder post (the one that bends around
the top of the opening for the prop).  Can anyone tell me how the blade is
attached to the upper post?  If I can remove the blade from the upper post I
can leave the upper post in the boat while I repair/rebuild the blade.

I can provide digital photos of both sides of my rudder if that is of use to
anyone.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.  Also thanks to George
Dinwiddie and Rolph Townshend for sending me a copy of the maintenance
manual.  It is a wealth of information.

Regards,

Hugh McCormack
Woody Point, Newfoundland