[Public-list] Designated Engineers vacuum gauges??

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sat Nov 18 08:37:21 PST 2006

Greetings, All,
I'm interested in t-ing in a vacuum gauage between the Racor and the
    fuel pump on my Universal M 3-20 B diesel engine. I've no doubt
    some readers have done this.

Racor sells a vacuum guage for about $75. Another outfit, though,
     Designated Enginners (http://www.designatedengineer.com/) sells
     about the same thing for $30.

The Designated Engineers gauge has a little plastic valve at the top
     for equalizing pressure and/or resetting the gauge when needed. A
     Universal mechanic expressed vague doubts about using these
     gauges.....

Anyone have one or experience with one? The intention is to get an
    accurate reading on the Racor so as to know more precisely when it
    needs to be replaced. Is this worth the hassling around? The last
    thing I want to do is put one of these gauges on and have the damn
    thing suck air through the tacky-looking plastic valve on top.

   Any thoughts about this?

  Many thanks,
Randy Katz
#249... Seattle/Bellingham