[Public-list] warning of service interruption

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Nov 27 16:11:16 PST 2006

The company that rents space and bandwidth to me for the server that
hosts this list has decided to exit the low-end of their market.  I've
done considerable research, and was unable to find local server
colocation at a comparable price.  I decided, instead, to go back to a
shared server setup with someone else maintaining the computer.

I've been working on this transition for several months, and I've been
painfully reminded why I was tempted to maintain my own server.  The
ISPs notion of customer service is not the same as mine, nor is it
consistent with the image I had formed from the recommendation I
received for this ISP.  As a result, it looks extremely doubtful that
the mailing lists configs (including user subscriptions) will be
transferred to the new server before I have to decommission the old one
in the next few days.  If I had access to the new mailserver, I could
have accomplished this by now.  Instead I have to plead with someone
else to do it.

As a result, the list will likely cease to function for a some period of
time.  I'm still hopeful I can get the user subscriptions transferred
without requiring everyone to re-subscribe.  I'll post a message when I
have some news.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.