[Public-list] Importing Albergs into the USA

Peter Amos peteamos at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 5 12:23:52 PST 2006

I  recently went through this situation myself. I bought my Alberg 30 in
Miami from an American citizen and it had a Florida registration.Miami
Customs(as it was then) told me that as I was British the boat had to have a
British registration so I did that.Im not sure now it was necessary,I
suspect that applies only to documented vessels.Recently I decided I would
sell her sometime in the near future so when I came back from the Bahamas I
asked Homeland Security what I should do.Helpfully the Marine Officer gave
me a form 7523(071883) which is an "Entry and Manifestof Merchandise Free of
Duty,Carriers Certificate and Release"This basically states that  the
importer (me) has had the vessel inspected and passed free of duty by the
U.S. Customs Service. Now  it is legally in the U.S. and can be sold in the
U.S.without import tax. even though it still has a British registration.
At one time Canadian built vessels paid an import duty when they were
imported into the U.S. Over the years the rate of duty has reduced and at
present it is zero.
The paper just legalises the situation for individual vessels.
I have had great help from the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection in
Washington D.C.generally over Entry Procedures and Cruising Permits.
Try contacting a youg lady there, Christina Kopitopoulos, in Cargo
Security,Carriers and Immigration Branch on 202 572 8708.If she does not
have the information you want she will probably know who does.
Good luck
Pete
Tait Tait #478