[Public-list] Using Yanmar During Winter

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 15:57:47 PST 2006

I have a fresh water cooled Yanmar (2GM20F I think) in
Aurora.  I like to get out on warmer days in the
winter and am torn about winterizing.

A guy on the Yanmar forum said:
  "Here's what I do...keep in mind that in 10 + years
at this marina the power has NEVER gone off...I put a
house light timer with a small flex arm desk lamp (60w
bulb) near the engine/transmission. The timer is set
to run from 6PM to 6AM every day. It generates enough
heat to keep the engine (3GM30F) useable through the
winter."

I am kind of tempted to try something like that.  I
checked and the winter low temperatures where he is
are similar to here.

Another alternative may be to put a tee and another
valve on the hose at the freshwater inlet thru hull.
That way I could run the engine for a moment or two
with the thru hull closed and the other valve open and
a hose from it to a jug of antifreeze after each
winter trip.  (Not sure I explained that well)

Comments or suggestions?

Pete
Aurora