[Public-list] Hard on the Rocks

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Nov 8 18:26:10 PST 2006

HI John,

No doubt there are a lot of variables associated with rudder shaft corrosion.  I suspect people who sail in fresh water all the time, have magnitudes less problem with corrosion than boats stored in salt.  Also I know  in earlier years, at least in Alaska, galvanic potential in most boat harbors was enormous because of poorly   designed electrical systems.  'Hot' marinas really eat up prop shafts nuts, wherever I have always been. I think Ketchikan harbor once recorded 400 + volts in the water at dockside.

My rudder shafts dissolved over 25 yrs, so it is a slow process. I am going to try bonding the gudeon fitting to the existing hull zinc which protects the bronze prop shaft housing.  Its only  a few inches away from the gudeon itself.  The gudeon now at least has direct mechanical  contact to my new one piece lowr shaft, and bottom shoe.  In the spring I will look at it and see if anything is happening.

STill working on last layers of FG on my rudder, so havnt sent any pictures or write up yet,,, but will pretty soon.

regards

Glenn
Dolce #318

From: JohnI <a30blueteal at gmail.com>