[Public-list] Designated Engineers vacuum gauges??

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 18 10:37:21 PST 2006

Randy;
    If the last thing you want  is air in your fuel system,( and it
really is ),  then don't put in a guage with a valve in it regardless of
the manufacturer. I have run diesels in tractors and trucks for many
years (none with vacuum guages on fuel lines)   and the normal fuel
filter replacement is at every  100 hours of time on the hour meter or
10,000 miles assuming the miles are put on over a reasonable time span
of no more than 3 months with a bit of leeway depending on the system
and fuel filter manufacturer.  (On farm trucks that often sit for 6
months at a time, filters are changed annually at least). Generally,
every 100 hours on the motor is not often enough on a sail boat
regardless of vacuum pressure, because the time factor is usually just
too long, unless you are doing a very extensive amount of motoring, and
then it could be changed every 100 hours. A fuel filter element should
be changed annually at a minimum, regardless of how many hours or how
much fuel goes through the element for safety sake - safety that the
element does not break down and safety that every time, it is filtering
all and any water and particulate matter from the tank and particularly
from  a half filled tank.
        There are three things absolutely necessary for easy use and
long life in diesel engines : clean air, clean fuel and oil in the
system.  Clean air is not normally a problem in boats as there is not a
lot of road or field dust in a boat, but if the boat's engine room is
dusty, then have an air filter on the air intake. Clean fuel is a
product of the following factors: quality of fuel purchased - so always
buy from a dealer that has a large volume of sales and has a reputation
for quality fuel ( no water ) and who adjusts the diesel/furnace ratio
for cold weather if you use your boat in the winter in Washington State;
maintaining a full fuel tank at all times to avoid a situation where
moisture from the air within the tank can be given up as condensation,
which promotes rusting,  and then maintaining the filters so there is no
water or particulate matter getting to the fuel pump. Check for water in
the filter every day and drain any that is present whether you use the
engine or not.  It is interesting that steel gas tanks will rust with
fuel in them and steel diesel tanks do not because the oil content of
the fuel is greater with diesel.
    I suggest that your maintenance schedule of filter replacements be
discussed with the Racor maintenance people that know boats and your $75
dollars used for regular filter replacement rather than the vacuum
guage. It is still far cheaper than having to rebuild a pump or an
engine.  I know from talking to others who have diesels in boats that
the tendency with fuel usage is to let the tank levels creep lower
because the usage is so low for the time  run under power, particularly
if that is only to clear the moorings or docks. This is not a good idea,
add as you go.
    If your engine is losing power, then your problem solving needs to
be inclusive.  Readings on  a vacuum guage on  a fuel system are not an
accurate measure  if the filter is damaged and there is unimpeded flow,
or if air leaks in the fuel line joint connection system are extant. You
might want to consider having the injectors cleaned or replaced if that
has not been done for a while.You might also want to consider the
maintenance on the fuel tanks  and that may include removal and cleaning
on a regular basis, say every 5th season, particularly in climates with
high humidity and variable temperatures. There ought to be a screen or
filter in the electric fuel pump at the tank (if you have one) and that
should be cleaned on a regular time schedule too. If the filter elements
have been damaged, then you might well need to check compression  (if
the exhaust is full of black smoke and unburned fuel)  and/or the pump.
The biggest problem with all this is spilled diesel fuel  that is both
somewhat  oily and somewhat smelly. That is the joy of having a diesel!

Don