[Public-list] Mast out of column

PHILLIP SPAR ptsparr at verizon.net
Mon Oct 23 18:00:18 PDT 2006

Hello,

This is my first posting on this list.  I own a 1966 Alberg 30, hull 172 I think, but can't remember off the top of my head.  I have noticed that when I am sailing upwind in stong winds the top of the mast appears to bow forward quite a bit.  I believe the center if the mast is moving back making it appear that way.  My major concern with this is that the mast appears to be moving out of column, which I have read can lead to mast failure. I have tried to correct the problem by tightening my forward lowers and backstay, but it doesn't seem to have any affect.   I first have to admit that I have alway just tuned my rig by feel, but I have gotten the second opinion of several people that have more experience tuning rigs than I have, and their opinions were that my wire tensions were pretty close to what they should be.  One person suggested that it could be because I don't tension the luff of my main properly( I don't have a cunningham, I just hoist the main untill it lifts
 the boom on its track).  They said in stronger winds this causes the main to have too much power, and could be causing the problem.  I'm not sure if I am making some very basic mistake, or if its a characteristic of the Alberg's rig.  I would appreciate any advice.

Philip