[Public-list] Sheave Order and Question re: Sheave Box

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 08:23:52 PDT 2006

Couple of observations to follow on what Andrew said:

1. Drilling with a 5/8" drill bit is not something I consider minor. If a
bit that big catches, it can really pull your arm out of joint.

2. If you think drilling and tapping 10/24 machine screws while hanging over
the end of your bow pulpit is tough, try drilling a 1/2" hole out to 5/8".
Not easy. Trust me I did a lot of both on this project.

3. Assume that the job will take 10^3 times as long as you think. I assumed
that it would take me 3 hours. It took me 3 weeks.

4. If you break your mast heel casting, you can get it repaired by a spar
dealer or rigger. I took mine to Atlantic Spars & rigging in Annapolis and
they cut off the bottom plate (keeping heel casting intact) and welded on a
brand new 3/8" piece of aluminum plate. Good as new. Cost me $100.

5. The sheave hole drilling IS a precision operation. A couple degrees of
mis-alignment will result in the sheave binding between cheek plates.

6. Yes, my cheek plates were welded in.

7. Yes, I had a 1/2" bolt running through mast, cheek plates, upper and
lower tangs. So I had to drill all of these items to 5/8". Fortunately they
were all aluminum. The tangs I was able to take home and do on a drill
press...much better than a hand drill.

8. I used 3/8" all rope halyard. Mine is 85 ft long. That's 70 ft for up and
down the mast, and an extra 15 for leading aft and for enough to splice both
ends (which I'll need to do when I end-for-end it). The rope is Yale
Vizzion, which is a blended vectran/polypropylene core and polyester cover.
It has a nice hand and splices easily. Breaking strength of 4300lbf and
4.1lbf weight per 100ft.

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e843.asp

Note that from this Thursday through next Monday APS has 15% off everything
in the store (boat show sale).

I went aloft on this halyard last night. Sheave appears to work great and I
love the halyard too.

In case you're curious, I went with 5/16" yale crystallyne (vectran core
7200 lbf breaking load a bit more expensive) for the jib halyard and 5/16"
vizzion for the kite halyard.

I used the better line on the jib because I figure stretch is the biggest
problem and the worst consequence on the jib.

All of my lower turnbuckles were cast parts and showed a lot of wear. I
replaced them, along with my backstay turnbuckle. Upper turnbuckles are
forged and in good shape so I kept them. All rigging terminals looked good
to me, even though nicro presses instead of swages on the upper ends of
everything make me nervous. I figure it's held up this long, probably do
fine another few years.

I also re did wiring, installed masthead combination tricolor/all around
light, fixed my spreader lights (they have never worked), installed a radar
reflector, and installed the electronic anemometer which came with my boat 4
years ago.

One final observation...if you're on the fence about the sheave thing, make
a commitment one way or the other so that people who have ordered sheaves
can get them in hand and move on with their projects. Don't make the whole
group wait if you can't make up your mind. I would have thought that the
group sheave order would have been done, shipped, and delivered by now. In
fact, I had to get my sheave shipped special because 2 weeks ago there were
a bunch of folks who wanted in on the deal at the last minute and the group
order got delayed yet again. I had mine shipped because I couldn't afford to
continue waiting. We've been working on this for a couple of months now.
Time to move it along, IMHO.

Also, MANY THANKS to Andrew for organizing this! It's not simple
co-ordinating such a large group purchase. It's a lot of work!

If you have questions about the project, feel free to ask.

Kind regards,

JB