[Public-list] Marine Alloys of bronze

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Thu Oct 19 08:50:32 PDT 2006

Silicon Bronze usually copper / tin sometimes a bit of lead or manganese
(Lead & manganese) aid in the flow as a lubricant and usually 1-3% silicon -
becomes harder when worked or rolled. Cupronickel is a copper nickel hybrid.
Manganese Bronze has much more manganese in it than SB (if the SB has any in
it at all). Very much a foundry choice - there are hundreds of variations.
Skene's Elements of Yacht Design has pages on it. Capt Nat built using SB.
That Concordia Gord was talking about on another thread would have likely
been fastened with SB

SB can be melted down and recast almost infinitely with the components
remaining in compound well mixed - has a great lattice structure. Survives
well in aerobic and anaerobic saline solutions unlike SS.

Lots on Google on Bronzes.

So Gord, gonna cast me some long nines out of LG2 to match the Rush Baggot ?
; )
Can never be too sure ; )

Cheers,

John