[Public-list] Marine Alloys of bronze

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Oct 19 09:18:49 PDT 2006

It was interesting to make.

Quite chilling too.  The target boat was quite heavily built but still grape
shot went clean through both sides.  We figured that if there had been a
crew in it would have 'got' them all with three charges.

Round shot was quite something.  The hard part about aiming is the fact that
you cannot 'track' the target as with modern gun mounts and as hunters do
shooting at birds.  You have to pre-set the gun in its carriage and wait for
A) the target to sail across the sights, and B) for your own vessel's roll
to come co-incident with that.

The first three shots missed over... The fourth went off with a crack - the
gun flew back 6', was caught by the breechings and we all strained to see
through the smoke.  The first thing I saw was a chain of high splashes as
the ball skipped away 500 odd yards beyond the target boat; then I heard the
film crew cheering... And saw splinters spinning in the air. We had drilled
it right amidships.

We got better at skipping shot through it by aiming short...20 yards or so
seemed best.  The shot would then be rising as it hit.  There was a better
chance of hits that way and of course the shot did more damage.

Quite an experience.

G.