[Public-list] Documentation

JOHN MANZA manza_john at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 10:28:39 PDT 2006

  I documented my boat three years ago and it was a very easy process.  I pulled the forms from off of the coast guard website and sent the information on length, draft, etc right from the standard old A30 brochure that I think we have all used (LOA 30'3" / beam 8'9' / draft 4'3' / displacement 9,000 lbs).  I just slugged that info on there and a few weeks later I had the completed documentation.  I really don't think that they check anything.  Every year I just confirm / update the information concerning my home address and boat name and they send back a new documentation form.

  I documented the boat mainly because I bought her in Canada and it helped me with customs when I brought her to the US.  The other good deal is that when I painted the hull, I didn't have to mark it all up with the state registration number.  If the boat is documented (at least in Michigan) you just place the registration year tag on the hull.

John D. Manza
US Department of State
Iraq Reconstruction Management Office
Provincial Program Manager, Al Dhi Qar/Al Muthanna
Cell 914 360 2301 (Baghdad use only)
Satellite phone 8816 315 21697
Unclass email: manza_john at yahoo.com
DOS: manzajd at state.gov