[Public-list] bronze rudder post replacement

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Oct 18 18:24:55 PDT 2006

brooks.glenn at comcast.net wrote:
> Also, I intend to have them machine a 5/8 or possibly 3/4"  pin
> directly out on the end of the new full length shaft assembly, and
> ream out the rudder shoe to accept the new pin dimension.  Will give
> lots more strength and longer life.  Also might go with 1 1/8th"
> stock instead of existing 1", and have then turn the top part down to
> 1" to fit the packing gland in the full.  Again, small difference,
> but a lot of added strength and larger pin size for the next 30 years
> wear and tear.

I would advise drilling and tapping the end of the shaft rather than
machining it into a pin.  Then you can take a bolt and cut off the head
for a pin.  This way it's easily replaceable.  See
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/RudderShoe/

And I don't thing going to a larger pin will buy you much.  They don't
break, but wear away.  A larger pin will wear as fast as the standard one.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash