[Public-list] cockpit hatch

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sat Sep 2 09:54:26 PDT 2006

I installed a 20X22 hatch in the cockpit floor, just aft of the foward cockpit drains, specifically for the purpose of replacing my stuffing box rubber hose and to get at the engine, morse controls, and exhaust system.  Also as my fuel tank is the stbd locker, there is a tremendous amount of open space aft of the engine--which I used to install a battery box/for the number #2 battery and a new exhaust system.  This gets the battery 2' higher, and out of the bilge( where it never should have been in the first place!)

For offshore work, to prevent water from coming below I drilled two holes through the hatch and deck for 1/4" thru bolts, and simply bolt the hatch tightly down to the deck, with rubber gasket around the edge to keep the water out. works great.

The hatch is low profile; simply one layer of 1/2" marine ply with a smaller piece of 1/2" ply screwed and glued and fiberglassed to the underside--to make a self fitting plug which nestles into the hole cut into the decking.  The whole thing sits there for coastal sailing with no problem.

Regarding structgural integrity, I haven't seen any movement or flex in the hull at all.  When I replace the cockpit floor this winter ( the balsa core is rotten anyway) I will frame the cockpit area with a couple of 1X 2" hardwood beams and relay glass over balsa core over the beams to recreate the new deck.

I can't imagine not having this hatch, because of the access and useable space it provides.  There isn't any structural integrity problem and little or no risk of taking on water, once it is secured properly.

One word of warning:  bring a lot of saw blades.  the nonskid eats  em up...

regards

Glenn Brooks
Dolce

From: John Flanders <jflanders at sympatico.ca>