[Public-list] Toe Rails Leaking

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Sep 6 17:08:41 PDT 2006

Jonathan Adams wrote:
> Ernest exposed the fact that my toe rails are leaking miserably. I
> have thought that I could caulk down the inside, and replace the
> fastenings, and thereby re-seal the toe rail without removing it. is
> this reasonable, or do I need to lift the whole thing up and
> re-caulk?

Is the toe rail leaking or the genoa track bolts?  If only a few bolts
are leaking, you can get some relief by pulling them and rebedding them
liberally in caulk where they go through the toe rail and deck.  If it's
not messy, you didn't use enough caulk.

If a lot of them are leaking, or the toe rail itself is leaking, I think
you'll only get a short reprieve if you don't pull the toe rail up.  I
know--I'm not look forward to that job, either.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash