[Public-list] Ethanol detrimental to plastic fuel tanks

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Sep 9 18:11:14 PDT 2006

edward schroeder wrote:
> Have the Alberg owners with gasoline engines read the article "Some
> Boat Owners with Gunky Motors Sing Ethanol Blues" by Robert Tomsho?
> The article describes what ethanol does to plastic fuel tanks and
> what the results of that reaction does to gas engines.

I don't think it affects polyethylene tanks; just polyester
(fiberglass).  I don't think any Alberg 30's were made with fiberglass
fuel tanks.

It will, however, absorb water from the air and can then separate from
the gasoline.  I think the recommendations are to winter with the tank
empty rather than topped off.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.