[Public-list] Ethanol detrimental to plastic fuel tanks

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 09:31:55 PDT 2006

I don't know anything about ethanol hurting glass fuel tanks.  Mine is made of brass sheeting and I run a diesel, so have not had to   worry about it.

However, I am sure of one thing.  An empty or partly empty tank will condense lots of water throughout the winter.  I overwintered  boats in the water in Alaska for many years and always siphoned out 2 quarts- 1 gal of water every spring from spring.  I finally got smart and topped the tank off in late fall, with almost no residual water build up.

If the tank if full, there should be very little opportunity to dissolve Ethanol in water, as there won't be any...

Also, regarding ethanol separating due to the cold.  I have a hard time with that discussion, as ethanol has been used in the arctic at very cold temps, with no reports of separation--(however not at the 85% blend mentioned early today on the list)

However, it would be very interesting to here how this all plays out next spring...

From: "C.B. Currier" <cbcurrier at spinrx.com>