[Public-list] Lazy Jacks

Christos Katehis ckatehis at handsonsailing.us
Wed Sep 13 08:30:06 PDT 2006

I have been using lazy jacks with the blocks slightly above the spreaders and stow them on the reef hooks. I use them all the time; I raise them right after I hoist the main and lower them after the sail is secure. I stopped lowering them immediately after raising the sail because of two reasons. When reefing they have to be deployed (bad time) and most of the times when the sail does come down I forget to deploy them.

  When lowering the sail I do pull in the 1st and 2nd reef lines to catch the leech.
  I have marks where to cleat the jack line, because they have to be trimmed so not to touch the sail when in use.

  Given all this work to use the jacks, Gords way may prove to be the way to go.
  I have a ritual now as to how I use the jacks so it doesn't seem cumbersome to me.

Gords system sounds great, I'll try it on a day where there is flat water and little wind and must remember to have sail ties in my pocket too.

  Chris
  Kasia # 383