[Public-list] A few rookie questions

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Sep 19 19:14:59 PDT 2006

Lloyd Pulley wrote:
> Thanks George,
>
> Actually the manual bilge pump is fairly new... 2002
>
> For some reason it was not appearing to work.

Those pumps are fairly simple, but easy to get out of whack.  If either
of the valve flaps doesn't seal, it won't pump.  I once had a paintbrush
handle stuck in mine.  It sucked it up the hose, but since it didn't
clear the valve in a single stroke, the pump quit working and there it
sat.  The rubber can warp, too.  Salt deposits can build up on the
surfaces.  Lots of things can happen.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash