[Public-list] Hull ID number

Kristofer Coward kris at melon.org
Sun Sep 24 21:52:16 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:33:03AM -0400, Lloyd Pulley wrote:
> Apparently I was mistaken on the Hull ID of my boat.
>
> I confused the official number that the Homeland Security US Coast Guard
> uses for my Hull ID number.
>
> When you told me that my boat was built in 70 instead of 75 that threw me
> until I tracked it down.
>
> My actual Hull number is ZWB305850775. But I notice you all just use the
> last three digits????  So would I be #775?

I think ZWB identifies Whitby Boat Works as the builder, 30 refers to
the model of boat built (Alberg 30), 585 is your hull number, and 0775
indicates construction in July 1975 (which makes a lot of sense to me
given that Candy Cane's hull number is 583, and she also dates back to
'75).

I'm also not entirely sure on this, but I'm guessing that ZWB indicates
that the boat was built for export to the United States, and that WBW
was used on boats built to remain in Canada (ISTR reading somewhere
that in the US, that a Z in the HIN tended to indicate an imported or
privately built boat).

Cheers,
Kris

--