[Public-list] reefing hooks for tack of mains'l

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Sep 26 04:13:44 PDT 2006

Hi Pete,

Roller reefing mains on the boom stresses the already highly loaded leach
and badly distorts the sail shape giving a baggy poor sail shape overall. It
is a slow and cumbersome way to reduce sail area. Makes vanging near
impossible. Slab reefing is greatly preferred and is much faster. A good
slab reef system with a competent crew can reef a main in less than a minute
and yield as good a sail shape as the mains original shape. I.e. a flat
main, flat foot, which reduces heel and improves pointing. Because a slab
system gives the boat much better pointing ability it makes it possible to
claw the boat to weather away from dangers to leeward and does not stress
the main as much.

Cheers,
John