[Public-list] reefing hooks for tack of mains'l

jon whittle at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 25 13:55:54 PDT 2006

Dear Bill,
             I just did mine this year. I had roller reefing also which no
longer functioned.On EMMY #25 the main boom "car" which slides up the mast
track is made of cast aluminum with a yoke into which the end of the boom
fits the whole thing held in place with a 3/8' vertical bolt, thus allowing
the boom to swivel. Directly above the top yoke on the "car" is a cast lug
with a small hole, about 5/16" I suspect. I bought two "pull down " hooks
(you could use reefing hooks) with single lug holes. I had to slightly ream
them out to fit. I then bolted one on each side of the car lug and " bob was
my uncle!" Having had to reef under some urgent pressure a few times now I
can attest that they are quite satisfactory, the only caveat being that
reefing hooks as opposed to pulldown hooks might work even better since the
trick is to get enough tension on the reefing clew hole to prevent the sail
falling off the hook prior to re-raising the shortened sail. Not a big deal!
Regards Jonathan Whittingham.