[Public-list] Portlight Frame Replacement Options

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:36:09 PDT 2007

Dudley

I installed the 8 X 22 bronze opening ports. I do not have pictures but I can give you any help you need. I chose these ports even though they were more expensive because I only had to cut out a small amount of fiberglass to make them fit. After a lot of discussion, I decided that cutting would be a lot easier than filling in the  space. I did not think that was in my skill set. Another reason was that I did not have enough time available for that process. Both choices are ok - you just have to decide if you want to cut out or fill in. After that it is easy - yes there are some tricks and I will be glad to share what I learned as I went along. .

There is an excellent article in an early issue of Good Old Boat showing how a retired shop teacher did it on an alberg 30  - lots of great pictures. He simply filled the port holes completely and then cut out new holes and placed them where he wanted them. If I had better developed skills, I might have done this. Because the walls of my cabin were 3/8" I purchased the teak spacer that they sell. I suppose you could make a spacer if you were a woodworker, but....  My boat is a liner boat. I think the person in the Good Old boat had a pre-liner boat. I do not recollect a discussion of the spacer and since you have an earlier boat you may not have to do this.

Hardest thing - and it was not that hard - was getting the window frames to come tight to the cabin walls. NFM uses butyl for adhesive and to prevent water from coming in. I put in two complete wraps of butyl around the ports - this fit with the directions - and found that it was difficult to get the frames to come together. With the help of a friend, who has done this kind of work all his life, we (he) made three different lengths of screws to tighten the frames. (NFM provided way more screws than were needed for the job - they must have thought of this option) We used each screw length till they bottomed out and then went to the next shortest length until the ports fit tight. They are water tight. I also learned that I had to go around the ports tightening the bolts that were diagonal from each other. This allowed the frames to come together at the same rate all around the port.

Ask carefully about the screens before you purchase. Mine were not bug tight. They took them back and are revising them to make them bug tight. I hope to get them back this spring. I am glad I did not go to the North Channel in Lake Huron last summer - bugs are an issue there I am told.

If you go this way let me know, and we can talk on the phone as well as on the site.

David, 432

>>> Dudley Baker <dudley.baker at kongsberg.com> 3/30/2007 4:19 PM >>>

I am seriously thinking of replacing my ports in the same manner as Dave Terrell --- New Found
Metals for the large and White water marine for the small ones.  For Dave:  Did you document the
project at all?  Any pics?  I am looking at the 7 X 15 Bronze for the four larger ones.  Is this
what you installed?

Thanks much
Dudley Baker #297