[Public-list] Replacing Wooden Spreaders

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Apr 2 15:49:23 PDT 2007

Hi there -

Mine were that way too... I flipped them over so that the tips are slightly
aft.  The airfoil is wrong now but the spreaders work better now.

Even with masts like ours you want to set things up so that when the system
is under load the tendency is for the middle to bow forward slightly.  What
that will do is draw depth out of the main ever so slightly...and improve
your boat's ability to carry sail and remain under control in heavier air.

The way you spreaders and mine were - combined with the lower shrouds being
set up wrong - the mast tended to bow aft when under load.  That increased
the draught in the mainsail, which increased the healing which increased the
weather helm which made the boat feel out of control when being pressed.

I think the common feeling is that the lower shrouds should be set up with
more tension on the forward ones than the after ones.  That holds the stick
in column when at rest but allows some flex when it is under great stress.

So what started all that?  Oh ya, the spreaders.

I fitted mine with the tips slightly aft and whether or not an engineer
could measure the benefit... That was a small part of the many little
adjustments I made; the aggregate of which resulted in a better sailing
SURPRISE than the one I first sailed.

Cheers - Gord