[Public-list] Replacing Wooden Spreaders

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 7 07:33:52 PDT 2007

Philip
    Brion Toss has some things to say about spreaders in his book the
Rigger's Apprentice which you might want to check out for yourself.
     I have also built myself a rudder for another boat and wanted a
foil there for lift. I am doing this from memory but the ratio of chord
to depth is a fixed ratio and fairly large like 8 to 10 :1 and then
there is the polacement of the deepest chord. For spreaders, if you want
the full lift theory to work, this is a bit extreme as you really need
the compression strength. I think those measurements  were in Gougeon's
book The complete book on boat building or some title close to that. My
copy is on permanent loan at the moment!
Don #528