[Public-list] Rain Leak Question

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 12 17:59:42 PDT 2007

Andrew -

I had the same thing on #229, except it was the starboard  engine bed log
(or whatever you call it).  In my case, rainwater was coming in through the
cockpit locker on that side, running through the large hole that separates
the cockpit locker from the engine compartment, then down along the engine
bed.  This is actually a c-channel with the end capped, and the water would
build up then flow around the end & under the steps.  I resealed the locker
lid (more than once), and I drilled out what looked to be an original drain
hole in the engine bed (there was a matching one on the port side so that
water that runs down here drains into the bilge instead of building up.

I would check you gasket material around the cockpit locker hatch, and your
ice box hatch & drain since they are on the port side.  Look too to see if
you have a plugged drain hole on that engine bed piece.  If you drill it
out, make sure you have gotten all the water out from behind it first.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229