[Public-list] Gray- Marine

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Apr 24 17:27:16 PDT 2007

Tom Dodds wrote:
> Guys, I need help, has anyone experienced this. I must flush the
> anti-freeze from my Gray-Marine engine prior to launch. In the past,
> I have paid a mechanic to prepare the engine  but this year I thought
> I would save some money and do it myself. My previous boats had a
> simple water intake that could be disconnected and run into a pail of
> water to allow water to be drawn into the engine. This engine has a
> tee at the intake valve with two hoses, one hose running to the water
> pump and one hose running to the top front. Would it be correct to
> remove the first hose and use it to draw water? What is the purpose
> of the second hose?
>
> Beverly Dodds
> StageOne

Beverly, I'm not sure what you mean by "one hose running to the top
front," but it's common (well, maybe that's too strong a word) to put in
a tee valve to select a hose for drawing in antifreeze without
disconnecting the through hull.  If that's what you've got, the same
hose would certainly work for flushing out the antifreeze.  You'll
probably need to run the engine until it warms up enough to open the
thermostat.  I'm not familiar enough with the Gray to give detailed advice.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash