[Public-list] Deck/hull joint - Toe Rail - ETC

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:04:50 PDT 2007

Bobby,

I think 5200 is a good solution for the deck/hull joint. I have done this to
serval boats and it has cured the leaks. I don't think that you need sealant
for the bolts or chainplates below deck. You should caulk the chainplate
[every year] where it goes through the deck to prevent water penetration.
That should probably be something like BoatLife or some similar product.

The new rails need bedding - I use 5200 for that too. I used mahogny color
instead of white [personal preference]. While you have the rails off, you
should replace the pop rivets with SS thru bolts. Check the A30 webite for
this it has good information on how to do it. This is an important step
because it stiffens the jont considerably and makes it water tight. This is
a bit of work, but worth it.

When you removete Genoa track, be prepared to buy new bolts. Many of mine
were bent. I also used locking nuts on the inside.

Bending the new rails is not real hard. Start by bolting at one end and slow
bend it as you work down the rail. If you try to bend it too fast, it will
splinter and you will ruin an expensive piece of teak. You may also want to
soak them and put some pre-bend in them. I did not need to do this, but did
break the starboard forward rail during the install.

Hope this helps.

Mike Lehman