[Public-list] Deck/hull joint - Toe Rail - ETC

Bobby capricebob at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 06:12:58 PDT 2007

Yes, the fiberglass is higher where the genoa track is located.

  I'm almost done removing the all the bolts for the deck/hull joint and stanchions.  I was happy to confirm that the stanchion bolts are not in the core.

  I noticed that at the bulkheads, the deck is glassed to the bulkheads.  Will this present a problem in prying apart the joint or will the deck move a bit to get access?  Is there a good way to pry it apart?  Also, does anyone have recommendation on how to remove the sealant between the joint?

  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
  I think you must have one of the transition hulls, that has some of the
characteristics of the old ones and some of the characteristics of the
new ones, plus some features not found in either of the others. On your
side rails, does the fiberglass come up higher under the genoa track,
eliminating the wood there?

- George

Bobby wrote:
> Caprice is hull #388 - 1969. The Taffrail consists of five raised
> "platforms" around 5 inch square that is the same height of the
> fiberglass rails starboard and port. A curved piece of teak lays on
> top of these platforms to match up with the teak on top of the rails.
> On further inspection, it looks like the rails and platforms is
> merely glass over solid wood. I don't think it's balsa.
>
> George Dinwiddie wrote:
> Mike Lehman wrote:
>> Bobby,
>>
>> There are some pictures at
>> http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/HullDeckJoint/
>>
>> George - is that your boat?
>
> Yes, it is. #543 And this is the taffrail, not the side rail.
>
>> Bobby - what is your hull# - this joint is different for the older boats vs.
>> the 'newer' ones

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash