[Public-list] cold duck

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 14:14:27 PDT 2007

so hugh, i am always curious about names. cold duck? due to your location? like to drink that beverage?
  dan
  rascal 145

Hugh McCormack <hugh_alberg at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Good evening all,

The recent thread concerning changing through hull fittings and discussion
around "ain't broke - don't fix" got me thinking about my newly aquired old
Alberg and what attracted me to her in the first place. I would have to say
that hull lines would be the main feature and knowing that she is a solidly
built seaworthy boat is second. The rest is essentially cosmetic.

In my boat, due to lack of recent care and maintenance, the interior and
exterior wood work is looking a bit worn. The cushions will need replacing
and the wiring is definitely due for an upgrade. I am also considering
modifying the interior layout slightly. My biggest objection in the look of
the cabin is the ugly wooden built in cooler to port of the companionway. I
feel no shame in removing this and rebuilding something else in its place.
I find it really intrudes into the look of the cabin. I will probably be
closing off and relocating the sink drain and tap water intake, too.

Sometime ago, when I first started looking at boats for sale I viewed an
Alberg 37 that was unique in that the companionway was centred in the rear
of the cabin and there were two quarter berths instead of the usual cabin
configuration. I was told that the sole owner, and vendor, had paid for
this modification when the boat was first built because he felt that the
standard design did not suit his needs.

I guess my point is that, even though one's boat may be a mass produced
model it does not mean that the standard design meets everyones' needs and
desires. Consequently we should feel free to modify our boats, if
neccessary, to suit us. So, if it means moving a through hull, we move it.
None of this alters the fundamentals that make the boats what they are:
beautiful, solid and dependable safe ocean going sailing vessels that are
the envy of others on the water.

Cheers,

Hugh McCormack
Woody Point, Nfld
Alberg #39 (as yet to be renamed from "Cold Duck")

Win a webcam! Nominate your friend’s Windows Live Space in the Windows Live
Spaces Sweetest Space Contest and you both could win!
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/contests/sweetestspace/default.aspx