[Public-list] Atomic four intake seacock location

jon whittle at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 28 11:44:48 PDT 2007

Dear Rachel,
                  For what it is worth. I am a firm believer in making
whatever changes one chooses if function is improved and safety is not
compromised. I have an Alberg30 and have made numerous alterations, none of
which I regret. My only comment about removing and re-placing the inlet is
this. On a trip out last year, we had barely left the marina( still in the
channel) when the water temperature alarm went off. We manged to glide next
to a convenient empty dock with the engine off. It transpired that the raw
water inlet had become plugged from the outside and hence no water was
reaching the engine manifold.. The answer was simple. After shutting off the
seacock in the bilge, I removed the hose and reopened the seacock. Still no
inflo. A quick jab through the open end of the seacock with 1/4" round file
promptly cleared the problem and after checking that the water continued to
flow for a short period, I shut off the valve, re-connected the hose and off
we went. My point, of course is that whatever new position you place the
inlet, just ensure that in such a similiar circumstance, you are still able
to clear the inlet valve without having to go "over the side". Best of luck.
Jonathan. EMMY