[Public-List] Painting Non skid

Don Lang potatosailor at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 14:35:16 PDT 2007

David,

I'm doing the work at home with the help of my boys and some of the crew from work time to time.
You can follow our progress here:
http://alberg30.blogspot.com/

cheers, Don #473

Don

this is an impressive redo - should look almost bristol when you are
finished. I am planning on having the topsides done this winter - below
the waterline was done by a previous owner. Are you doing the work
yourself or having a professional do it?

David

>>> Don Lang <potatosailor at yahoo.com> 8/13/2007 5:19 PM >>>
Hi David.

Ya, it really is impressive to see one of those washers in action, I
had no idea how powerful they were until I used one myself.
In some areas on my boat the non-skid is badly damaged or is no longer
there as a result of a previous owners efforts with a grinder.
I thought about pulling a mold from an undamaged section to use to
repair the damaged portions but due to the large number and extent of
damaged
non-skid it made more sense to take off what is there and start anew.
Below the waterline we are taking the vessel down to bare glass and
then applying 2-3 coats of Pettit Protect (A high build, 2-component
epoxy primer), followed by one coat of black Pettit Trinidad Pro for
now
(contains 76% cuprous oxide and irgasol anti slime agent)  then three
more coats prior to launching.
The epoxy paint is not UV protected so we have to overcoat it with at
least one coat of antifouling paint, Pettit
said to hose this down periodically and it would be fine for a couple
years in the sun on the hard.
For the topsides we are using Awlgrip (cloud white) with either a red
or gold boot and cove stripe.
On deck; Pettit Easypoxy Undercoater then White Semi-Gloss Pettit
Easypoxy (a Blend of
Polyurethane?Silicone?Alkyd), followed by Sandstone Easypoxy with
skidless compound (silicone oxide) added to it which should help cut the
glare also.
Below decks; Pettit Protect in the chain locker. Pettit Dura-White
Satin Cabin Paint (water based, provides a moisture resistant, mildew
proof finish that will stay white, bright and good-looking. Guaranteed
mildew-proof.)

Cheers, Don