[Public-List] Motor removal

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Aug 29 10:05:44 PDT 2007

Peter

We removed the old A4 engine and found that some of the  motor mounts and bolts were frozen together. Serious work with a sledge hammer were essential to getting the engine out. Some bolts broke off in the process and had to be extracted. My experience is that engines that have been in the boat a long time may not be always be "eased" out.

No comment on the shaft -  no experience - except it does not sound like an easy task to me.

David, 432, Scholarship II/Talisman

>>> "Peter Amos" <peteamos at tiscali.co.uk> 8/28/2007 10:21 AM >>>
I'm planning to do some work on the motor  in November before I go sailing.Is it possible to ease the motor out of the boat with the shaft still attached,minus the propellor of course. My motor is a Universal Westerbeke M3-20B 3 cylinder diesel.
Any tips on motor removal  based on experience would be welcomed.
Pete
Tait Tait #478