[Public-List] 2nd attempt ... Winterizing a GrayMarine SeaScout engine: Update

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 4 08:29:10 PST 2007

Hi Hugh,

  I have a spare Gray from Dan Walker's boat Hull # 154 in storage and went out to have a look to see where the drain plugs are located.  The engine block plug is where Andrew Cole mentioned, except on #154 the plate is rectangular with a 1/8" IPT square headed bronze plug in the middle of the plate.  This is down near the oil pan half way back on the Starboard side of the engine.

  I could find no drain plug on the water pump of this engine.

  The manifold drain is at the aft lower port side of the engine.  There are several brass fittings which make up an elbow and fitting for the hose barb to the water pump.  At the lower end of this mess was a stop cock exactly like that on an automobile radiator which is the drain.

  If you have the cast iron muffler it should be located in the aft Lazarette.  The drain for that is on the lower side and not easy to see.  Mine was a bronze stop cock which turned 90 degrees to open.

  Remember all this drains into the bilge.  Boats have been damaged by water freezing in the bilge.  I would pump the bilge out dry.  If your boat is stored where ANY water might get back into the bilge, I would pour some fresh water system antifreeze into the bilge.  That way if water were to enter the bilge it will mix with the anti freeze and not refreeze to possibility damage the hull.  That is my theory, better be extra cautious than have damage next spring.

  Sorry for the misinformation in my earlier post.

  Michael #133

Hugh McCormack <hugh_alberg at hotmail.com> wrote:

Good afternoon all,

I'm not sure what happened to my last post. The text does not seem to have been transmitted to the list.

Our old Alberg came out of the water the day before yesterday. When I went to winterize the motor I realized that the GrayMarine Maintenance Manual leaves a bit to be desired in its information. While it says, helpfully, "... current models have 3 drain plugs, on cylinder block, on oil cooler and on exhaust manifold." it doesn't say where to look on the block and I am not sure where to look for the oil cooler.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Cheers,

Hugh
Alberg #39