[Public-List] Alden 32

Brian Zinser bzinser at lssu.edu
Thu Dec 6 08:09:20 PST 2007

Dan, Michael, Gord, et al:

I just thought we could choose a place near the convergence of the three
upper lakes (Superior, Michigan and Huron).  Not sure we would attract
anyone from Superior, but St. Ignace, Detour Village and Harbor Island
(near Drummond Island in US waters) is as central as you can get for
Michigan and Huron.  All other locations are in Canadian waters in the
North Channel.

Location really doesn't matter to me since I would most likely have the
least distance to travel and probably have the most flexible schedule
during the summer.

Michael, if we had it the weekend after the Port Huron-Mac race, John
would probably be in the area.  However, the North Channel is the most
crowded that time of the summer.  However, most cruisers head to the
eastern end of the channel.  Most anchorages in the western end rarely
have any boats.  However, there are areas in the west end of the channel
that are equally as beautiful as the east end.

I would be happy to host at Hilton Beach.  We have excellent facilities,
areas for group gatherings, reasonable dockage rates, a CanPass phone
for the Americans to check-in,  local law enforcement which overlook
Ontario consumption laws, motel for those who might want to join the
group but not bring their boat, etc.