[Public-List] Royal Newfoundland Regiment ~ "with chins tuckeddown as if walking into a blizzard"

Marianne King-Wilson addvalue at cogeco.ca
Tue Dec 11 08:08:06 PST 2007

John, I must correct any impression I might have given, that my grandfather
served with the valiant RNR.  He served in Gallipoli but not with the
Newfoundlanders.  He spent months in  hospital after the evacuation, and
never got to France.

A copy of his journal is in the Imperial War Museum, where it has been used
by researchers and quoted in several books.  I have his photos and the
journal, as well as many of his field notes, as a battlefield surgeon.
Brain surgery in a dugout was one of  the lesser challenges.

A few years ago, I wrote a Remembrance Day piece about him,  but I see it is
no longer online at  the Globe and Mail.    Please email me directly, if you
would like a copy.  I will be happy to share it.

Marianne