[Public-list] Motor alignment

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 2 09:52:01 PST 2007

I agree with getting the engine as close as possible to aligned before
bolting the shaft to the transmission and I do do that. Lifting a motor
at the dock is much easier too, as one never has to deal with heights.
There is enough bend in the shaft that the torque from a small deviation
is not enough to permanently bend the shaft. Turning by hand is not
enough to permanently bend the shaft or scrape the cutlass bearing.
There is still enough leverage past the cutlass bearing to see a
difference. One can still feel any play in the cutlass bearing with this
system, and probably better than you can by diving on the shaft in your
boat. One gets a better idea of a bent shaft if the boat is on the hard,
since there is less water entering the hull when the orifice is 4.5 feet
above the water level, so there are benefits to both systems. I find it
difficult to get a big set of shoulders to the back of the engine and
then with trifocals to really get a good feel for the guages. Sailing is
a compromise and so is fixing sometimes.  The result of both systems is
that there are many ways to do things but slow and steady is still the
best for any system. Do not make mistakes that will cost time and effort
or parts.
    Underwater tape? Try some medical applications as they need to stick
things to surfaces that sweat, although, here in Canada many prefer Duct
Tape after Red Green's vast experience!