[Public-list] detachable inner forestay

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 6 05:48:06 PST 2007

Mark,
  I am thinking that you could mfg. a small storm jib with it's own luff wire.  Attach the tack to an extra shackle on the stem and hoist with a spare jib halyard or use the spinnaker halyard. This allows the forestay to remain without a sail attached to it.  This sail might be something under a 100 sq ft so would be easy to manage.  No need to hank on a sail or add an inner forestay.

  I wouldn't think that there is any need for a second backstay because you are reducing sail not just adding another sail forward.

  Michael

Mark Bisset <mbisset at orilliapacket.com> wrote:
  I'm looking for some wisdom on installing a detachable inner forestay.
Last summer we tested the limits of our genoa on furling in a fairly
big blow. Trying to beat with a storm-sized section out left us
frustrated and did some damage to the sail in short order. I have a
hank-on storm jib, but no way of attaching it due to the furling.
Here's what I am considering: creating a detachable forestay to run to
the bow in such conditions. When it isn't in use, it could be detached
and tied off. Has anyone created such a system? If so, how was it
attached at the masthead? Does it require a matching backstay (I'm
thinking no)? Are there better alternatives to consider?

Mark Bisset,
Wanderlove # 578