[Public-list] Dripless bearing

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 11:25:03 PST 2007

I have changed the cutlass bearing several times -

Remove the prop
Remove the 2 screws in the housing
Unscrew (counter-clockwise) the housing from the stern tube

You can take it to a shop and the will press out the old bearing or you can
do it yourself

Remove the 2 allen set screws on sides of the housing
Try to press out the bearing with a socket that is just the right size - or-
Using a hacksaw blade carefully cut a section lenghtwise out of the bearing
and then push it out
Cut the new bearing to the proper length
Press the new bearing in the housing
Make sure you drill holes in the bearing through the water inlets on the
housing
be sure there are not any burrs inside
re-assemble

Mike Lehman