[Public-list] Diesel tank material

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 12:10:20 PST 2007

Good day John,

My boat has a gas engine so I am no expert on diesel fuel and tanks.
However, as far as I know, most, if not all, transport truck diesel tanks
are made of stainless steel.  As you know they are subjected to a continuous
spray of brine and sand during winter driving conditions.  If this is the
case then a protected tank in your boat should last forever.  It seems to me
that the quality and thickness of the steel coupled with the quality of seam
welding would determine the life span of a boat's tank.

FWIW,

Cheers,

Hugh