[Public-list] detachable inner forestay

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Feb 5 13:15:03 PST 2007

I think you are referring to the gale sail marketed by ATN. From what
one can tell on the net the wrap around device does not seem to chafe on
the furled head sail.

Gordon - Thanks for the observations - I have been interested for some
time in the solent idea and wondered what others would think of it. On
thing I am unclear about is: Where did you finally anchor the forestay?
I understand you observation about the weakness of the anchor locker
bulkhead (though I saw this done on an Ericson 29 with success) and know
about the other approach as I tried it on my previous boat. My
recollection of that prior discussion was that you did not think running
back stays were needed when you mounted the mast bracket at the height
you indicated. That removes what I think is a big headache. Where do you
run the sheets to? In this context I have wondered what use is  made or
could be made to the very short track that lies near the cabin house?

David

>>> jon <whittle at shaw.ca> 2/5/2007 3:06 PM >>>
Dear mark,
                 I have seen pictures of a storm jib that wraps right
over
the furled jib, using, I think, heavy duty velcro to attach. No idea if
it
works well but sounds like a reasonable idea. Jonathan.